Reasons That You May Need a Root Canal
Do you need a root canal? That’s a good question and one that doesn’t always have a clear answer. The truth is, only your dentist can tell for sure if you need a root canal. That’s because your dentist can take x-rays and do temperature and vitality testing to determine whether you and your tooth can benefit from root canal therapy. Our Providers at Gwinnett Denture Center in Lawrenceville, Georgia offers root canal treatment that can save your smile.
The reason why a root canal is performed is because there has been damage or bruising to the innermost layer of your tooth, an area known as the pulp. The pulp is where the blood supply and nerves to the tooth are located. When this area becomes damaged, inflammation and fluid accumulate inside your tooth, causing pressure and pain.
The pulp of your tooth can become damaged or bruised from:
- Deep dental decay that has penetrated into the pulp chamber of your tooth
- Severe trauma to a tooth from an accident or injury
- Chronic trauma to a tooth from grinding, clenching, or other habits
You may experience pain as a first symptom, but not always. Pain can be acute or chronic, and can feel like:
- A sharp pain when you bite down or chew
- A throbbing pain when you eat or drink hot or cold foods or beverages
- A radiating pain extending into your jaws, face, or head
- A continuous pain even after a filling has been placed
You may also notice non-painful signs like these:
- A red or white bump on your gums next to a tooth root
- Blood or pus draining from the bump on your gums
- A tooth becoming darker or grayer compared to the teeth next to it
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, you may need a root canal. It’s time to talk with an expert, your dentist. To find out more about the reasons you may need a root canal and what you can expect during root canal treatment, call our Providers at Gwinnett Denture Center in Lawrenceville, Georgia today.